Martin Cauchon has a wealth of experience in government. A man of action with an outstanding ability to listen, he knows that governing means sometimes making difficult decisions, as shown by his achievements as a minister.
- As Minister of Justice, he promoted legalizing same-sex marriage and proposed a bill to decriminalize the use of marijuana.
- Also as Minister of Justice, he renewed the Strategy of justice applicable to Native Persons that is intended to attack the fundamental causes of criminality by working, at the community level, in collaboration with the principal stakeholders.
- He was a member of the Cabinet when the Chrétien government decided not to participate in the war in Iraq.
- As minister responsible for Economic Development in Québec’s regions, he assisted SMEs in facing the challenges of the knowledge economy and globalization. He also solidified the partnership with the network of Community Futures Development Corporations.
- As Minister of National Revenue, he modernized Canadian customs. The technologies introduced now allow better risk assessment and management.